This one is for the new Android developers or the ones who want to get into Android development. With the steps given below , anyone can create a self-sufficient environment for Android development. It is useful due to the following reasons:
- Deploy the environment across many PCs, update the APIs only once and and copy it to other systems.
- In case the working environment gets corrupt , just replace it with the saved installation.
Let’s get going….
Download the latest Eclipse Ide from the Eclipse download site, I prefer the win-32 version even if I have 64-bit system as sometimes it leads to conflict with the JVM.
- Goto http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ and download the Win-32 version.
- Unzip the Eclipse installer in a folder eg: c:\Data
Download and install the Android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html, it will get installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\Android-SDK. Make sure you know where you are installing the SDK.
- Once the SDK is installed download all the needed APIs for Different platforms by running SDK Manager.exe from the installation folder.
Open Eclipse and install the ADT plugin .
- Goto Help>> Install New Software
- Click on the add button and provide the URL for ADT download (https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ )and give the name as ADT plugin and click ok
- Select the Developer tools option and click on next , Accept the EULA and let it install.
Once the ADT plugin is installed we move to the next step, Goto C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\ and copy or cut the Android-SDK folder and paste it where the Eclipse installation is eg. C:\Data.
The last step is to update the SDK location in Eclipse , Go to Window>> Preferences >> Android >> SDK Location and update it to the new location where you moved your Android-SDK folder.
Once all the steps are complete you can create a zipped folder from the C:\Android folder and reuse it on other systems or keep it in a secure place for any contingencies later. 🙂
For the newbs who do not want so much configuration, they can download the pre-installed rar file here.
It includes: Eclipse Juno , Android SDK, Android APIs, and the ADT plugin .(Also included is the GIT plugin)